About this blog

This page was set up to be interactive. I want to get a feel for people's views and opinions, so please do not hold back. Just let it rip, because you know I will. My goal is to have this page become a community of intelligent and passionate thoughts. We all have experiences in our day to day that shape our minds and our lives. Let it all out here, and leave it here. If you continue to post strong comments, and make impressions, I will give you direct posting privileges.


Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Kanye is a dick, but we are worse...

So, here I am, a couple days after the "incident" that left poor little Taylor Swift standing in complete shock after Kanye West made a spectacle of her moment at the VMAs, and I could not be more pissed off. But, not pissed off for the reasons you may think. Kanye is indeed a c-sucker, undeniably understood - however, I promise you that he is not the worst aspect of this entire situation. In many ways, he is actually more of a vehicle for enlightenment than anything else - to the point that I almost want to thank him.

Again, I can't stress enough, how little of a shit I give about the overall well being of kanye west, or 98% of the other over-celebrated individuals in society.... And we all recall the innocent, frightened, and confused look on the face of Taylor Swift as she was basically violated on stage at the VMAs - unable to finish her acceptance speech, and ultimately exited the stage with a tarnished and unfulfilled award experience.

Fast forward 72 hours since the incident, and the world has been completely atwitter (no pun) over recapping the event, and discussing the aftermath. Taylor Swift has been on countless interviews, television spots, and has occupied the discussions of both commonfolk and celebs alike. People, who never had any remote possibility of knowing who the F Taylor Swift was, or what she sang, were now engaged in conversation over her well being, and showed and understood compassion for her terrible and horrible experience...However, It all became extremely clear while listening to a radio show this morning, playing clips from Taylor's appearance on The View.

Now, I'll be the first to admit. I saw the VMAs...I was shocked...and I was interested in hearing more about it. And because of this, I will be the first to drop a big infectiousInk "fuck you" on myself...I deserve it...and more than likely...so do you! To hear these disgusting excuses for women and interviewers, rehashing the incident and the aftermath as if Taylor just escaped from a fucking POW camp, brought me back to reality in a flash. The endless stream of presumptive cacophony, self-appointed ethos, and over-dramatic empathy was just too much for me to stomach...I could not take it anymore! It was the equivalent of a Huey Lewis style face dunking, and I immediately changed my tune.

I wanted to punch myself straight in the G Damn face for feeling anything over Kanye's actions other than shear hilarity...I mean after all - it is entertainment, right? These people are entertainers. They make disgusting mounts of money for making music, and making movies, and most of these people will never have another economic worry for as long as they live. They are living a life that only !%, at most 1%, will ever EVER enjoy. And we are supposed to feel badly because an arrogant napoleonic fuck found it necessary to steal the thunder of a fellow artist? Child Please! (thanks 85)

Day after day, in this country, people are working 2 or 3 shitty jobs, just trying to make ends meet. And, that's if they are fortunate enough to find one or two of these shitty jobs. Our entire economy is in the toilet, with more and more families foreclosing on their homes every single day. The health care crisis. The endless state spending on illegal immigrants, and their continued burden on our state funds. The boys and girls of this once great nation dying oversees as they fight for reasons not understood and protested by the most vocal and dangerous forms of opposition. Hell, I'll even throw in Global Warming if it helps strengthen my point! Are you getting this yet...are you catching my drift? This vapid VMA shit has been everywhere you look! From Early Shows, to the Late Shows, and every God Damn thing in between - this is all anybody and everybody has been talking about. What a shallow and pointless society we have become...

Bottom line, I kinda think we are fucked. And, I am all ears if someone would like to argue this point, as it would be extremely comforting to hear from those who still believe in our current America. Deep down, I need to believe the core of this country is steadfast, for I will find it damn near impossible to sleep at night. Unfortunately though, I'm scared this core is buried so deep beneath a blanket of endless propaganda and pop-culture bullshit, that we'll have no chance at redemption and restoration.

I don't know when it all started, and I have no idea if the end is in sight...But, I am 100% certain that if people like Perez Hilton continue to gain momentum and strength in the public eye, we are in deep deep shit. I could write for hours over the travesty that is the trending topics on twitter, or which websites get the most hits per day. It is all very saddening as I lose more and more faith, while our language gets butchered, our values get threatened, and our history gets blurred. I'm all for changing with the times, and embracing what develops into the just...but for God's sake, let's get a grip on our priorities!

Thank you Kanye, for helping me to get a grip on mine...

2 comments:

Jared said...

so did you do something constructive in your actions asides from this post to make things better? Would be interested to know.
I don't agree with you completely here, just because someones successful in any industry be it the entertainment or whatever. Like its all their fault yr country's in such a mess.
interesting way to draw a comparison (?)
So what did you do?
BTW, i like yr article, just like to argue :)
then again the world has been the same for centuries, its not just a U.S.of.A. phenomenon.
I shud've had more than 3 hours sleep last night before deciding to answer here.
Gotta dash to work. sunday mayhem.
Keep up the good work handsome :)

infectiousInk said...

Jared - my apologies for the long delay in getting back to you. As far as my actions go, not sure what really I can do to change the way society covets celebs. Just the way it is - as I'm sure I have a little bit of sour grapes going on. However, personally, I have made a point to live a more enriched lifestyle, that pulls me away from the hoopla that is swag mags and pop tv. It's not complete, but it is indeed a work in progress.